So you want to look like a Hollywood starlet. Who doesn’t? Even Hollywood starlets want to look like themselves, and believe me, they don’t start out that way. Sure, they’re cute, but to get that certain, patented not-like-the-rest-of-the-world glitter and glow, they work it. They fake it. Here’s how.
1. Human hair wigs. That’s right. Your favorite femme fatale with the platinum bob in last week’s blockbuster release suddenly has a long, tangled honey-hued mane. Does she take special vitamins? Is it some kind of deal with the devil, gift from the gods? Wake up and smell the Aqua Net, red wig sister–they all wear wigs. They wear gorgeous, lustrous human hair wigs. Sometimes the wigs are lace fronts, glued to their foreheads, sometimes weaves, woven into their real hair, sometimes the full head is a cap they hang on their wig stand every night. But know this now: they’re all doing it. They look great. You can do it, too.
2. Pilates. All those flat stomachs come by hard work of a specific kind. Pilates strengthens the core. You can even get a little bit taller through pilates, because in addition to core strength, you learn to stretch your spine straighter. There’s no getting a starlet figure without exercise, but if you’re going to break a sweat, break a smart sweat, down on the pilates mat.
3. Have your teeth bleached professionally. The light flashing off those pearly whites comes from good dental work. Steer clear of coffee, red wine and cigarettes to maintain blinding perfection.
4. Have your eyebrows threaded professionally. It’s a wonder what can be done these days with a spool of all purpose thread. It’s cheap, too, and the best way around to keep groomed brows. Don’t go overboard with it, though, a thicker look is in again.
5. Learn how to walk in heels, then do it. Want mile-long gams? So do short Hollywood honeys, and they make the most of what they’ve got with heels. But tottering in heels has he exact opposite effect, so make sure you can swing it before you hit the red carpet.
6. Wear big sunglasses. Hey, create a little mystery. If you wear them inside, people will assume you’re disguising your identity, so you’re either famous or a spy–both fine options in the world of mystique!
7. Carry a tiny dog with you everywhere you go. If you don’t want to commit to caring for a dog, at least borrow one from the pet store for a photo shoot, and post it all over your Facebook page.
8. Very Secret Bonus: Whether you’ve got one of your fabulous human hair wigs on, or are sporting your own sweet locks, practice tossing your hair like you’re in a shampoo commercial. I’m serious! This is a tactic underused by the general public. Try it on the sidewalk some afternoon, and see how quickly you feel like a star!